Message from The Board
To Charleswood Curling Club Curlers and Guests
Despite COVID-19 being so prevalent in everything we do now, there will be a curling season this year at Charleswood Curling Club. It will begin with an in-person registration night for adult leagues on Wednesday September 9, 2020 at 7:00 pm.
We will however have made the following adjustments to registration night in order to ensure we do not violate any requirements that could result in the club getting shut down:
- Only 1 person per team will be able to attend registration night to sign up a team and pay curling dues.
- The bar will not be open during registration night as we cannot anticipate how many people will attend and cannot risk exceeding reduced capacity requirements at the club.
- All curlers and visitors to the club (watching curling, visiting, etc.) must sign a Declaration of Compliance and Release of Liability forms (click links to view/download) prior to curling their first game or visiting the facility during the curling season.
- These forms need to be printed, completed and returned to your league (every player will need to complete this form one time, even if they only spare once).
- Every visitor to the club needs to complete the form one time (not included for registration night).
- People have asked about if the season gets stopped will there be refunds available: Charleswood Curling Club will reimburse to each league up to a maximum of 70% of ice rental fees depending on if/when the curling season gets shut down.
- It will be a maximum of 70% since if the season gets shut down in the first week, we still have costs of installing the ice for this season.
- Refunds will be determined at the conclusion of the curling season.
- $100/team food voucher will not be included this year due to no kitchen being open. There will be a $100/team COVID-19 fee for 2020-21 only at this time for the extra cleaning efforts and supplies to provide a safe curling environment for all curlers and guests of Charleswood Curling Club.
- Following curling registration some of the differences you will see that we will have to follow for the 2020-2021 curling season which will begin on Tuesday October 13, 2020 will be as follows (and attached 2020-2021 CCC-Return to Curl – Sept 1, 2020.pdf):
Kitchen / Caterer
- There will be no caterer operating in the kitchen for the 2020-2021 season
- Coffee/Tea, water will still be available
- Limited food options will be available in the lounge and the club is in talks with Sorrento’s to provide some limited menu ordering to the club
Curling Game Details
- No handshakes
- Each curler will clean their two rocks at the beginning and end of each game (cleaning supplies will be provided), no switching rocks during the game.
- On ice traffic pattern to be followed (links below are to some on ice videos of how it works and see the attached on-ice traffic pattern attachment
- Sheets 1,3,5 will start at the far end of the rink for each draw, 2 and 4 at the home end.
- Draw times for adult curling to remain as they previously were. Curling games will be 1.5 hr (90 min) bell, finish the end you are playing only.
- No extra end games, skips rocks will be used to break a tie.
- Need to be off the ice by 1 hr 50 min.
- Upon leaving ice after the game, get changed and either go upstairs or leave the building if there are draws to follow you.
- Measuring sticks cleaned by ice staff before and after each draw
- Water cooler to be removed from ice area (Club will buy bottled water and sell for $1 or curlers bring your own)
- Ice area phone removed – replaced by sign to call (204) 832-2333 from cell to order drinks to ice (details/availability on this are still being confirmed)
- No scoreboards – alternate scoring method will be provided (likely whiteboard / w dry erase marker), scoreboard numbers to be removed
- Masks must be worn in common areas where social distancing practices are not possible. Masks will be available at the club for purchase if you forget to bring one.
- Locker rooms will be available to change in only, lockers cannot be used during the season – bring a bag and put your stuff in it on the ice area. Lockers will be made inaccessible.
- This is all due to locker cleaning that would be required during use and social distancing practices cannot be followed.
- Food service will be very limited during the curling season (chips, coffee/tea, water and limited bar menu – behind bar and served by bartender)
- Single use cups only (possible that we can go with glassware as long as only used once and new glass provided for new drink/refills
- Bar Service will be limited (adjusted drink menu)
- Table service only
- Hard closing time of lounge/CCC at 11:30 pm (all customers out of building by this time), last call at 11:00 pm
- All guests must sign the Declaration of Compliance and Release of Liability form (attached) and CCC staff has to make sure guests sign in (one time only), CCC will keep a running list so staff can confirm by name.
- Tables must be set up for social distancing.
- No moving chairs to other tables or tables to other locations.
- No switching tables, once you are at one you must stay.
- If children are visiting during adult curling they must sit and not run around the club/supervised by adults.
- Traffic patterns will be established for moving throughout the club – entering and exiting the building and directional stairways to go to upstairs/downstairs and around the club. Will be marked in the club.
- Pool table and shuffleboard will not be available for use
- There will be increased cleaning at the club this year to make sure sanitization for Covid is being completed. We are looking into training for staff to take to ensure this is done.
Thank you for your understanding as we navigate through operating the curling club during these uncertain times and are working to provide all curlers and guests of Charleswood Curling Club a safe environment to enjoy the sport of curling in.
If you do have any concerns, don’t hesitate to bring them to your league representative who will bring them to the Charleswood Curling Club Executive and Return to Play Committee or you may also email them to CharleswoodCCRTP@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you at the club during the 2020-2021 curling season.
Charleswood Curling Club Executive and Return to Play Committee,
Charleswood Curling Club
2020 – 2021 Charleswood Curling Club – Return to Curl – Sept 1, 2020
Charleswood Curling Club has leagues for all ages. Whether it is Men’s, Ladies, Mixed, Juniors, Seniors and Masters, there is a league opening available for all skill levels.
The success of the Charleswood Curling Club from its humble beginning was mainly due to the abiding faith of its members in the sport of curling and its place in the life on the community.