The success of the Charleswood Curling Club from its humble beginning was mainly due to the abiding faith of its members in the sport of curling and its place in the life on the community.
Curling Rink Founded
April 22, 1946
April 22, a Limited Company was formed and the appointed Board of Directors authorized the purchase of land at Fairmont Road and Grant Avenue for $500. A three sheet curling rink was subsequently built by volunteer labour, at a cost of $3,500.
Matching Stones Purchased
January 1, 1952
After using unmatched rocks for six years, new matched curling rocks for three sheets were purchased at a cost of approximately $66 per pair. Curling dues had been increased by $1 for a two year period to create a ‘Rock Fund’.
First Car Lottery
January 1, 1954
The first car lottery in Winnipeg (two cars) provided a large part of the funds required to finance the start of the present five sheet rink; a necessary undertaking as the demand for ice time had greatly outgrown the capacity of the three sheet rink.
New Rink Construction Started
June 1, 1955
Construction of the new rink was started in June and this would not have been possible without the volunteer labour of the ladies, men and teenagers of the community.
New Rink Curling Started
November 1, 1955
Curling started in the new rink November 1955
Present Curling Rink Officially Opened
January 1, 1956
The present Club building was officially opened in early 1956
Artificial Ice Installed
January 1, 1959
Artificial ice was installed.
Last Car Lottery
April 1, 1959
Commencement of the Charleswood Car Spiel which continued for a world record of 16 years
Gas Heaters Installed
January 1, 1965
Installed gas heaters in the rink area.
January 1, 1966
Ice base was replaced to a depth of approximately six feet, which resulted in an improvement of the ice surface.
January 1, 1972
New lighting installed over the ice surface. Modernized the clubrooms with bar facilities
January 1, 1981
Through an Act of Legislature, Charleswood Curling Club Limited was allowed to incorporate as a non-profit organization with the authority to assess and sell shares.
January 1, 1981
A first for Charleswood: this year’s MCA President, Bob Lloyd is one of our club members.
Board Of Directors Elected
January 1, 1982
The Board of Directors of Charleswood Curling Club Ltd. was elected and began holding regular meetings to conduct club business.
January 1, 1988
Expansion of the Charleswood Curling Club, providing additional canteen, clubroom, locker room space, as well as new locker room facilities for the ladies.
January 1, 1988
The entire roof covering the ice surface was redone. Funds were obtained from cash calendars.
January 1, 1995
This year’s MLCA President Caryn Blashko is one of our club members.
January 2, 1995
The chiller, condenser, oil separator, and the brine pump were replaced.
January 1, 1996
The boards separating the ice surface were replaced after 40 odd years. All work was accomplished with volunteer labour.
Ice Area Insulation
January 1, 2001
The Ice area is insulated overhead and down the sides for 10 feet. This should provide a more comfortable environment for the curlers.
New Stones Purchased
January 1, 2010
Full set of Ailsa Granite stones purchased to replace our 50+ year-old rocks
January 1, 2013
Shingled roof over ice and flatroof over Clubhouse replaced, all headers replaced, lounge glasswasher, canteen deep fryer replaced